Monday, August 15, 2005

Keeping Ahead of the Joneses


A study is hitting the papers which suggests that money can be a key to happiness (if not the key) - not so much how much you have, but that you have more than your peers:
Researchers in the United States examined the "hedonic treadmill hypothesis" that suggests people are in a continual wealth race with their neighbours.

Measurements were taken of the age, the total family income and the general happiness of a group of people aged 20 to 64.

The results showed that the richer people were relative to their peers of the same age, the happier they tended to be.
I hope what is being measured is more of a cultural phenomenon than engrained human nature. (But there is evidence that the problem of 'coveting your neighbor's property' has been plaguing humans for a very long time.)

2 comments:

  1. I love your information on michigan attorneys! I bookmarked your blog and will be back soon. If you want, check out my blog on michigan attorneys secrets that shows unveils all the secrets there are to know about michigan attorneys. May I put a link to this blog of yours on mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work on your blog, It was fun to read! I am still not done reading everything, but I bookmarked you! I really like reading about michigan attorneys and even created a michigan attorneys blog of my own if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete